Monday, August 29, 2011

The Awesome Adventures of Charles B. Snyder

 [I'm taking a childrens book illustration class and we have to write and then illustrate our own story. Which means lots of that will be popping up here and there. Here's the first draft.]


The Awesome Adventures of Charles B. Snyder

Charlie was always late to play with us. Always And he always has some crazy story of why he is late.  “Sorry guys! I had to stop a MU-TIN-NY on a pirate ship!”
But how could he do that? He’s just a little boy! We all are really curious about what he’s REALLY up to!
Veronica, the bravest of us all, stepped up. “Can I go with you on your next adventure, before we all play together?” “Sure! I will take you to meet the pirates! They will be nice to you cause I helped them!” (Charlie). Veronica really likes pirates, so she was happy.
Then we played kick ball. We all couldn’t wait for tomorrow.
I wanted to be the first one to the field to hear from Veronica, so I left really early. But Jimmy AND Sam were already there!
“We couldn’t wait to hear if all Charlie’s stories are fake or not” (said Sam) “So we got here early. I guess you thought the same as me and Sam” (said Jimmy)
So us three sat down and waited.
Getting here early was a bad idea. Charlie is always late any way, and this time Veronica would be too.
Finally they showed up. Veronica would not stop talking! “The pirates were so nice, Charlie was right! They even let me sail the ship, but I didn’t have to swab the poop deck! They made Peg leg Joe do that. And Capitan Curly Beard really has a curly beard! It’s like really curly! More curly than my hair! And it was so much fun!”
Shyly, Sam asked where Charlie was thinking of going tomorrow. “Hmm, maybe I think I will go ride some dinosaurs.” “…I like dinosaurs.” (Sam) “You can come too” (Charlie)
“Can I too?” piped up Jimmy. “Sure!” Charlie was all smiles for the rest of the day.
I left late for the field. There is no point in leaving early, everyone else was going to be late any way.
THEY were all there waiting for me! “YOU’RE LATE” said Veronica with a smile.
And then the stories began. They were talking about Dinosaurs like they really saw them! “They were so big!” “One licked my ear!” “One licked my foot!” “I petted a baby purple one!” “I wish I could keep one as a pet!”.
But Charlie didn’t say anything about dinosaurs. “We left early cause we didn’t want you to be lonely waiting for us. “
Where are you going tomorrow, I asked. I had to know. “I was thinking we should all go explore the Amazon, or go to Saturn. Either one sounds cool.” “AND YOU’RE COMING WITH US” exclaimed Veronica.
I packed my backpack the night before. I didn’t know what I’d need for the Amazon Rainforest, much less for space. So I just grabbed some snacks, a flashlight, and an extra pair of socks. And went to be early.
Charlie’s Mom showed up at my house right after breakfast. I hopped into her car and sat between Sam and Veronica. They each had a backpack like mine.
We stopped at this big building with really tall columns. Charlie just walked straight through the doors, Veronica grabbed my hand and pulled me in.
They lead me passed the biographies, and past the histories. Away from the reference, and to the left of a big desk. We stopped underneath a sign that read PICTURE BOOKS.
Charlie ran off, looking through the stacks of books for something. We were at a library, that much I knew. But how would we get to the Amazon, much less Space from here.
The ceiling is really high, I noticed. And made of glass too. We COULD fly a rocket through it. But it would make a really big mess.
Charlie was back with an arm full of books. As he turned the first page, the heat of the Amazon enveloped us. Trees grew from the book, and over took the tables and desks.
And the adventure was on! We played tag through the towering trees and swung on the vines. Jumped in puddles, flew with the birds!
We canoed with the friendly natives, and wrestled a jaguar.
Then Charlie opened the next book, and we blasted off from the jungles of the Amazon and into Space. The man on the moon even winked at us! We flew on towards Pluto, he looked a little lonely and in need of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment